Below is the first of many recipes I will be adding to this blog each week. The recipes come from a student competition run last year by Health and Wellbeing.
Quinoa Salad with garlic dressing
About £1 per head
"Quinoa chopped up veg Quinoa on the boil My housemates and I love this dish because we can all put together the veg we need using up (before it goes out of date in the fridge) and its quick and cheap. The roasted garlic and the garlic dressing is the best bit, as it gives the dish a kick and brings out all the flavours of the veg. The dish is so filling because of the high protein in the quinoa and it tastes even better cold for lunch the next day!"
- 200g Quinoa
- water for the quinoa (as pack instructions)
- 2 red onion
- 1 white onion
- 1 courgette
- 3 assorted peppers
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 tomatoes
- 100g feta cheese
- handful of spinach
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- Firstly, cook the quinoa as pack instructs
- Chop a selection of vegetables for roasting, keeping them nice and chunky (we used these ingredients, but you can use what ever veg you have that needs to be eaten)
- Place veg on baking tray, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil
- Put a couple of garlic cloves (skin on) with the veg to roast - roasted garlic has a much mellower flavour than raw garlic and it is nice squeezed out of their skin after its been roasted
- Let the veg roast for 25mins, keep checking and toss regularly
- Meanwhile, using the small grater holes on your grater, grate 1/2 a red onion, the tomatoes and garlic clove (sounds strange, but its Jamie Oliver inspired)
- Once grated season well and add 1 Tbsp of olive oil and mix into a dressing texture - this will be drizzled over the salad before serving (you can add as much or as little ingredients as you like)
- Place the cooked quinoa in a large serving dish and put the roasted veg on top, crumble the feta and sprinkle the spinach on top
- Lastly, drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve!
This post has been read 253 times.